Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What's Up With Facebook's ID Management/Logical Access Control?

An Exile From the Kingdom of Me (The New Yorker)
Meanwhile, I have sought redress against the charge that I am not who I say I am. I gave Facebook my cell-phone number so they could text me a confirmation code. The text arrived. I tried to log on, and entered the code. To my surprise, Facebook was not assuaged, and gave me another quiz.
Some will interpret the accumulation of obstacles between the user and their Facebook account as reflective of how prevalent unauthorized access to accounts has become. Others will suspect that Facebook is erecting the barriers in order to extract a personal information premium (mobile phone number) in exchange for for removing them.

Is Facebook using logical access control policies to gather information about its users that isn't needed purely for ID purposes? If so, is it likely to annoy Facebook users?

The linked piece is actually more about the ontology of friendship (also a very interesting topic!) than ID and privacy. It is highly thought-provoking and deserving of a quick click-and-read.