Wednesday, February 22, 2012

West Virginia Photo ID Controversy - Some Object to Photo ID on Privacy/Religious Grounds

Real ID Act opposed on the basis of privacy rights religious freedom (West Virginia Public Broadcasting)
“We were created in the image of God. God gave us our uniqueness. What the State wants to do is take something unique physical about us, our digital facial fingerprint and take it. It’s actually theirs. They’re taking something unique from us like someone taking your DNA.

"If I take a picture of you in a photograph, you buy the picture, I give you the picture, it’s your picture. I can’t go out and say do something else with that picture because that is your picture. You understand? What God gave me I don’t have the right to give to the State. Especially when in Scripture it tells me eventually my identification will be necessary to have permission by the State to basically do anything,” Hudok said. [emphasis mine]
That's a bold statement.

There's audio at the link.

UPDATE:
Another article on the subject from the Charleston Daily Mail
"...we would be enrolled in a global system of identification that directly links our body, through biometrics, to our ability to buy and sell..."
and
"I am not saying this is the mark of beast, I'm saying this is where I draw the line"